Mohun Bagan Super Giant Historic Win
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant secured a historic victory by beating East Bengal 1-0 in the Durand Cup 2023 final.
- The winning goal was netted by Dimitri Petratos, propelling Mohun Bagan SG to their 17th Durand Cup title.
- Mohun Bagan SG made history by becoming the first team to claim 17 titles in Durand Cup history.
- East Bengal, with 16 titles, stands as the second-most successful team in this prestigious tournament.
Dimitri Petratos Shines
- Australian forward Dimitri Petratos was the hero of the match, scoring the decisive goal in the 71st minute.
- Despite being reduced to 10 players after Anirudh Thapa’s red card in the 62nd minute, Mohun Bagan SG held on to their lead.
- Prior to this win, Mohun Bagan SG’s last Durand Cup title was secured in 2000.
- They had reached the finals in 2004, 2009, and 2019 but fell short on all three occasions, losing to East Bengal in the 2004 final.
Intense First Half
- The first half saw Mohun Bagan SG dominating ball possession, while East Bengal settled in as the match progressed.
- The game’s tempo increased in the final minutes of the first half, with both teams striving to break the deadlock.
- Both teams had their chances; Mohun Bagan SG’s Dimitri Petratos missed a crucial opportunity in extra time.
- Despite having more shots on target, East Bengal failed to capitalize on their opportunities.
- East Bengal and Mohun Bagan SG had previously met in the group stages of Durand Cup 2023, with East Bengal winning 1-0.
- East Bengal’s last significant trophy win was in 2012 at the Federation Cup.
- The 132nd edition of Durand Cup 2023 featured 24 teams, four more than the previous year, competing for the prestigious title.
This victory cements Mohun Bagan Super Giant’s legacy in the Durand Cup, marking a remarkable achievement in Indian football history.